Information Overload

I thoroughly enjoy uni, this page is going to be dedicated to all the stuff i get up to whilst I am here, and hopefully see where my future leads!

Pages

Wednesday 18 January 2012

Looking ahead


Roberto Cavalli SS12

Alexander McQueen


Dolce and Gabbana AW12-13



"Retrofuturism"
After looking at corset of the day from Corsets Uk (as seen in the picture above) I am very much intrigued with "Steampunk". Can't say I have particularly heard of it before apart from some costumes at Comic Con (which were looked at when discussing halloween costume ideas). I like the use of brass, gold and leather.

It is a science fiction genre of books which is generally set in the 19th century and uses steam as the main power source. From what I can grasp it is an inventive and explorative style, solving probelms in a unique way. Its art and fashion are based around browns, golds and bronze in colour and show the working mechanism details. Flight, birds and insects as well as globes and watches seem to be regular features in their design. It is a very limited view as I havent studied it in depth so this is very much from the surface.

I had a look at what Dolce and Gabbana, Roberto Cavalli and Alexander Mcqueen are doin for 2012-2013 and although it is not directly linked to the 19th century there are aspects of their Design which could influence designs. Dolce and Gabanna are focusing on Baroque embroidery whereas Roberto Cavalli is also focusing on heavily gold/bronze sequins and beading. I don't want to create something that is too heavily gothic but I think for winter you can get away with heavier fabrics and applique. rx

No comments:

Post a Comment